Welcome to the Neuroscience Perspectives in Psychiatry Course(NPiP)! NPiP is a collaboration between the University of Illinois College of Medicine (UICOM) and the National Neuroscience Curriculum Initiative (NNCI). We’re excited to have you join us for a two-week learning adventure!
Each day of the course will focus on a different core topic in psychiatric neuroscience – spanning from basic concepts, to direct clinical applications, to cutting-edge topics with the potential to transform our field. In designing this course, we’ve spent lots of time thinking about how to optimize your learning in the online space. To this end, each day you will be expected to:
- Review a set of resources on your own, and engage in asynchronous discussion via Slack:
Start one new Slack thread and respond to at least one colleague’s thread:
- What was something cool or noteworthy about this day’s resources?
- What questions did the resources raise for you?
- What would be interesting next steps / applications / implications?
- Work with your learning pod to complete structured activities:
- Plan for 2 hours/day for pod activities, though most days won’t need the full time
- Engage in Slack for questions that arise from your pod discussion
- Your learning pod will choose a neuroscience-inspired pod name on Day 1
- A private Slack channel will be created for your pod (and course leadership)
- Tag “@Joey Cooper” in Slack for questions or to submit a pod assignment within your pod’s Slack channel.
- Complete daily assessment exercises (Google form links): For learners taking the course for credit, this allows us to monitor progress; for others, we hope you will use these as a formative learning experience – these questions reflect our learning objectives for what we hope you’ll be able to do at the end of the course!
- Participation in the above will be graded on a pass/fail basis (official UICOM nomenclature on the matter is “advanced” or “fail”). If your participation and daily assignments are not demonstrating adequate effort, you will be given feedback from the Course Director. Please remember, the expectation for a full-time elective is that you are spending at least 6 hours per weekday on this elective.
All NNCI materials are freely accessible at NNCIonline.org – please go there now to create an account (100% free, this is only so we can track usage to report to funding agencies).
To join our Slack community, click here: NPiP Slack October 2021.